Wednesday, October 13, 2010

When they work with their hands, they are really monks (RB 48)

Scenes from the monastery courtyard today
as the novices and juniors worked on new shrub
and flower beds as part of the "Re-creating Eden"
project of assistant novice-junior master Br. John Mark:


How many monks does it take to start a sod-cutter?
Novice Michael, Novice Timothy, and Br. John Mark
(left to right) ponder one of life's deeper questions.



Kick it Novice Michael!
Yes, that usually works.


Br. John Mark:
"Look guys, if you roll up the sod like this,
you can lay it out somewhere else.
I'm going to put this in my room
so I can walk barefoot through the grass
without going outside!"

(We like to humor him.)


Dirt:
Br. Luke digs it.


Br. Francis:
"Hey, Br. John Mark, after the shrubs are planted,
don't you think that paved corner back there
might make a good spot for a gelato stand?"

1 comment:

Simon said...

This is great, thanks for sharing, Brother Francis! I am currently working in the Saint Meinrad Library on a talk I am giving at a retreat in November. Hope to run in to you, though not literally. This was a spur of the moment trip, so I apologize for the delinquency in a timely warning of my arrival.